Thursday, September 8, 2011

Trash Can Rebelion - The Storyboard

Good Day!

I am presenting the storyboard for my short film idea, which I published in my previous post. 

This storyboard content is not so much about key poses, or beautiful drawings, but is directed at visualizing the essential and ideal camera shots for the primary actions and any camera movement that it requires, and is also useful for me to have an idea about the duration of each shot in my movie. 

This is a completely new area for me. Before I started these projects, I had zero idea about how to develop my ideas into concrete stories, how to present them and how to decide, organize and apply the required camera shots and positions. I have a better idea now, or better said, I have the knowledge, but as with everything in life, this process requires a lot of trial and error and a good deal of experience to be able to use it with all the potential it has, towards planning a movie.

This following link will lead you to the PDF that contains my complete storyboard:


Having had some time to reflect upon my storyboard, there are a couple of things that I would have done differently. 
Simple Storyboard example.

To start with, I would definitely draw my shots a lot more simpler and with more precision regarding the camera position and movement. Some of them are not exactly as I pictured them in my head. That might also be because I can not draw so well in perspective, and even though I can see every shot in my head exactly as I want it to be, it is still hard to draw it correctly. So, simpler drawings would be better. 

Camera angle example.


One other thing is me being unsure about what camera angles, or camera movement work better. I for one, am not a very big adept of too much camera movement if not necessary, so I try to keep my shots still unless they require movement to emphasize the action. As an example, on shot number 05, I decided to go for a Close Up of Frank´s (the kid character) face and them to make a Zoom Out  to a Low camera Angle and reveal what was the shadow that came upon him.

However, it then came to my mind that maybe if I had just had changed to another camera, with a Low Angle, the scene would work better and emphasize much more the dimension of the Trash Can, and the fear sensation that Frank feels, instead of a perhaps confusing (for the audience) camera movement.

On the other hand, on shot 07, I do believe that the Zoom Out really does work, because in this shot the important aspect is that Frank is physically lost, and the Zoom out reveals the environment surrounding him. If this camera movement is fast, it works even better. Of course, I might be completely wrong, although I really do believe it works.

And, as with shot 07, the shots I did not mentioned satisfy me, because they express my idea and the way I want people to see my story. I like the sequence of the intense "coffee cup hitting the Trash Can", and I believe that sequence will be a fun part of my movie!
 

Storyboard template example.


About the Storyboard template, I made that one myself, and comparing to the ones I found around the internet, I believe that it works well, is easy to follow and has all the necessary information to allow for a fast and understandable reading.

That´s it for now. I will soon complete my 2D Animatic and post it here. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment